NEW TECHNICAL PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT: A PATH FULL OF DETAILS AND SECRETS
Customer's needs metric obtained by The Discovery Team© is essential in the process of developing new technical products for several reasons:
1. They provide the means for priorizing new product attributes or ideas.
2. They bring the expected technical characteristics sought in a new product.
3. They provide the means to later measure the new product performance.
4. They aid building a common language between different departments in the company.
Once the New Product Development Team (NPDT) is assembled, a set of activities, check-lists and tasks must be performed systemically. During this process, the input of the customer will be considered essential.
The methodology developed by MIC CONSULTING is summarized in the following overall process for developing technical products:
1. New Product Development Team Assembly.
2. General chronogram for the New Product Development.
3. Metric assessment by the Discovery Team (outcome metrics).
4. Metric priorization (customer).
5. KANO method (if necessary)
6. New product concept statement.
7. Commercial feasibility.
8. Technological and manufacturing feasibility.
9. Distribution and logistic feasibility.
10. Economic evaluation (investment, cost, expected revenue).
11. Product design: Formulation/detailing/specification.
12. Prototype manufacturing. Checking of steps 7,8,9,10.
13. Testing: Alpha test and possible modifications. Beta test and possible modifications.
14. Product certification (technical standards)
15. Volume manufacturing planning.